THE YEAR OF…
I could call it the year of failure…
I failed to
1. Finish my 1st “A” race this year
2. I failed to improve my swimming AT ALL!!!
3. I failed to PR even one race
4. I failed to even start 2 of my “A” races GFT and the Jax Marathon.
5. Came in last by over 30 minutes at an open water swimming race
But upon further reflection… sport does not define me… support me or quantify me… it is my hobby… plain and simple
Instead of the year of failure I think I’ll call it a year of enjoying… the year of exploring… and a year of self-discovery…. A year of awakening and enlightenment.
1. This year Judi and I had 52 weekends of training together… that is precious time and timeless memories. Most weekends it’s more than training it’s some kind of adventure we devise.
2. Judi ran her first marathon
|After 20 something miles I'm not very funny|
3. We discovered new trails
4. We experienced dozens of sunrises
5. I recovered from an injury that knocked me out from running for almost a month
6. Rode over 120 hilly miles on a hot August day and followed that up with a little run
7. Discovered cyclocross
|that's right my kid does cross too|
I have learned that my body is not a diesel engine that just needs fuel and ignition… it is much more like a precision automobile.. that need routine maintenance (strength and stretching)
I have become more cognizant of what I put in my body… striving to eat whole live raw food, almost no red meat, drastically reduced the amount of processed food I eat.
As I take a final glance over my shoulder at 2011… and turn to embrace 2012… I whisper to myself…. “yeah… let's go”