My photo
Jacksonville, FL, United States
In Life as well as in running the secret is Pace.

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Former Athlete




I was talking to a friend of mine in the gym last week…  Let's just call him Byron.
 
Byron was telling me about his boss…  whom he described as a former athlete.  Byron went on to say that one of the reasons he works out so hard right now (he is 28 and could hold his own in a college football practice I'm sure) is that he wants to be like his boss one day…  older and able to relax and just do a little here and there to say in shape.
 
I just looked at him…  and said "Dude…  I hope that is never me"
 
He looked at me as if I had suddenly sprouted an extra nose or something….
 
I continued…  "I want to train hard and compete for as long as I can.  I love it now more so than I did 20 years ago.  My body does not recover nearly so well but I have the time, my kids are grown, and I have the focus…  I'm just battling age and physical limitations but I have no intentions to let up"
 
At this point our conversation drifted elsewhere, but I think that I got him to thinking….  And I have this suspicion that it will be a long time before anyone calls Byron a "Former athlete"
 
 

2 comments:

Jim ... 50after40 said...

That was good - very similar post today, mine and yours! Viva la old guys!

Jford said...

I am hoping to hang in there until I can win my age group, which might not happen till I am in my 70s!

Followers