My photo
Jacksonville, FL, United States
In Life as well as in running the secret is Pace.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

the Tour of Sufferlandria



 
Saturday
 
Well…  before we even started I thought it a good idea to go out and do the normal Saturday Group ride…  and normally I ride to and from the ride because…  well…  I see no good reason to bring a car into this:
 
 
Most of the guys who normally do the Saturday Lodge ride were either doing the road Race in Deland or the Ididaride (mountain bike race) in Lake City or just simply decided to stay indoors on this Belgium like day…  overcast, high 30s to low 40s with some rain thrown in…  we ended up with about 18 riders at our peak on a ride that boasts almost 100 on a sunny summer day…  of these 18 only 10 or so hung on for the whole ride and really on about 6 of us took regular turns… 
 
Well that taken care of…  a beer some lunch and a nap later we stared the Tour with a fitness test… 
 
Sufferfest Rubber Glove
 
If you are beginning to think that I'm stupid you are astute.
 
Basically a little warm-up, a few FTP intervals, then an all-out 20 minute test to help you calibrate your FTP
 
 
A piece of cake…  and my 20 minute "consistent" effort is laughable..  I was all over the place.
 
Sunday
 
We had to get up early and knock this out before church…
 
I know…  a 12 hour turnaround from the "Rubber Glove"…ugh
 
Sufferfest ISLAGIATT
 
ISLAGIATT = "It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"  yes aptly titled…  1:57 minutes….  I felt like a bus had hit me…  5 minutes into the workout I figured out how to turn down the target power to 90%... That is why the blue power profile is higher than my yellow actual output… and that is why I survived
 
 
I took a nice nap and really didn't feel like playing golf in the afternoon… but I did…
 
Monday
 
We slept in on Monday morning and opted to do the Monday stage after work… It was a good choice because I think this was the hardest cardio workout of the week… after the second interval I really didn't think that I would be able to complete it.
 
Sufferfest Revolver
 
Tuesday
 
Another quick turnaround because Tuesday is Guana ride day so we did the stage before work.  Since I felt pretty beaten up by this point and I really didn't want to get shelled by the first accelerations by the group at Guana..,.  I turned my FTP down a few notches to give me a bit of a tempoish ride instead of a threshold ride… 
Sufferfest Hell Hath No Fury
 
Guana
 
Only 3 of us showed…  the other two are better riders than I…  yet we all rode down together at a nice tempo… then... on the way back in the cold rain my rear tire blew… seven miles from my car..  blowing out the sidewall of my tire in the process… so I had to pedal back with a flat alone (the guys did wait on me at the cars)
 
Wednesday
 
Started with an unscheduled recovery spin in the morning…  nice and easy
 
The actual workout was a double…which we did after work... yay!
 
 
Thursday
 
I was feeling a bit better by Thursday and had turned my FTP back up a bit… I also think that this was my favorite video and workout…  I pretty much nailed it
 
 
Friday
 
Doubleshot again on Friday… only this time we split them one in the AM and one in the PM
 
 
An hour each of mostly climbing…  I was trying to save energy for Saturday
 
Saturday
 
Once again I dug a nice hole for myself by doing 63 miles on the road
 
 
I took my pulls…  even contested the sprint…  but followed wheels a little more than usual.
 
 
As the name indicates and the profile backs up the Blender workout is a little bit of everything mashed into an hour and 45 minutes… Oddly I felt pretty good for this one…
 
Sunday
 
The Coup de grâce
 
Basically an hour of intervals…  some hard…  some a bit easier…  and one set where I blew up halfway through and just drooled and gasped as I missed 3 intervals in a row…
 
 
We finished just in time to shower and turn on the Super Bowl
 
 
 


No comments:

Followers