My photo
Jacksonville, FL, United States
In Life as well as in running the secret is Pace.

Monday, November 10, 2008

My Kendall Story


I wrote the following to the tri list... another listmember was dealing with a simlar accident with his daughter.


Three years ago my daughter (10 years old at the time) fell out of a tree and broke both the bones in her right arm.

We took her to the hospital. They told her that they could not give her anything for the pain until she had been x-rayed. Needless to say, she was in a lot of pain. And she cried and gritted her teeth for an hour waiting for the technicians.

They let me go back with her and sit next to her while they took their pictures. I knew that she was hurting... and that there was nothing that I could do except coach her along and try to keep her mind off her pain.

For the last picture they had her rotate her wrist so that they could get a clear view of both bones. This was the worst yet. I knew that this hurt... and I hated to see my baby girl go through this. I guess that I got quiet. She could see the tears in my eyes... just as the technicians were taking the picture she looked up at me and smiled.

There amidst all the pain that she was going through... she wanted to show me that she was okay... and that everything was going to be okay.

It took two surgeries, 7 months, and a half dozen casts later but she's fine now. With only a 1.5" scar.

I think of that moment... that smile.. a lot.... when I think about how hard something is... or parenting is...

I think of how proud I am to be that little girl's dad... and how much better a person I am because I try to live up to deserving such a kind and gracious child.

1 comment:

B.o.B. said...

OMG this brought tears to my eyes too!

Followers