My photo
Jacksonville, FL, United States
In Life as well as in running the secret is Pace.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Not Running




 
 
Hello my name is Michael and I am an alcoholic Runner.
 
Everyone in unison: ("Hi Michael")
 
Today I am happy here to say that I've been sober  not running for 37 days.
 
::polite applause::
 
HoBoy…
 
I hear many people say that running is hard….  But *not running* is no cakewalk for me…
 
Ya see…  I love to run…  I'm a natural introvert… I need that time…  and while I have been cycling a lot…  lifting weights and staying really active…  nothing can completely replace the place that I can go within myself, a kind of personal cocoon, when I'm running.
 
 
I have really not taken any significant (more than 3-4 days in a row) off running in probably 15 years with the exception of what turned out to be a torn quad in 2011 (http://allaboutpace.blogspot.com/2011/03/21-days-in-rehab.html ) and even then I spent a significant amount of time doing "running type" training (elliptical etc)  Yep that's right sportsfans since I quit smoking back in 1996 I have really not taken a break…  and  It. Has. Been. Fabulous.  J
 
So why now?
 
Well…  to say that I over-trained in the first 6 months of 2013 would be a bit of an understatement…  and all the while… one niggling injury here…  bad knee creaking everywhere…  and an ache and pain there…  led to a compensation in running form and a weird snowballing effect of awesome aerobic capacity that I could no longer physiologically support…
 
So…  I've backed off…  working on Balance, core, strength, flexibility….  And cycling
 
I will be a runner again soon.
 



1 comment:

Will Cooper said...

nice confession. it must have taken a lot of guts to get that out. now...just relaxxxx. happy new year pace!

Followers